Fathom-UK CAT has been built in tandem with Fathom’s flood hazard data for the UK. The probabilistic model uniquely characterises the relationship between flood depth and damage in a variety of contexts. This includes the differentiation of damage in residential and non-residential buildings.
Key features of Fathom-UK CAT model
10,000 years of flooding – Fathom-UK CAT represents a set of over 170,000 synthetic flood events spanning 10 millennia.
100% river channels – Representation of all river channels in the UK, regardless of size.
Fluvial, pluvial & coastal – Our UK catastrophe model has the ability to capture the unique impacts of varying perils, including storm surge and flash floods.
Alternative Living Expenses (ALE) – The indirect costs of evacuation, accommodation, and other expenses are explicitly modelled.
>10,000 Unique Damage Functions – Based on relevant combinations of building, peril and coverage characteristics.
Climate change – 3 time horizons for present day, 2030 and 2050.
Fathom-UK CAT enables:
- Complete representation of UK flood defences.
- Loss calculations derived for both high-frequency and low-frequency events.
- A consistent view of risk across the whole UK.
- Realistic loss simulation.
- Long and short duration flood damage differentiation.
- Accurate determination of damages based on a property’s characteristics.
- Generalisation of property characteristics in the absence of precise data.