LMA: Next-generation climate models – what are they, and how will they transform our view of risk?
On October 4th, Fathom’s Dr Andrew Smith joined join the LMA to host a panel on the next generation of climate models.
The discussion explored recent research from leading scientists and the impact that these new ‘kilometre-scale’ models will have on our ability to answer fundamental questions about the future of water risk and provide significant advancement in our ability to predict and measure the scale of climate risk we face.
Key questions raised to the panel included:
- What will this development mean for insurers working with natural and physical risk if successful?
- What are kilometre scale models and how can they improve our predictions of climate risk?
- What have we learned from high-resolution regional climate models?
- What plans are in place for developing k-scale global models?
- How will this impact the insurance sector?
Professor Julia Slingo – Lead Researcher
Dr Tim Palmer – Royal Society Research Professor in Climate Physics and a Senior Fellow at the Oxford Martin Institute
Steven Belcher Chief Scientist at the Met Office
Although the live event was only available to members of the LMA, we are now sharing the discussion recording to all.